Thursday, December 23, 2010

Retro Hair - The Essentials - "Vintage Hairstyling"


I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I have recommended this incredible book for hairstyling to! "Vintage Hairstyling" by Lauren Rennells has pretty much changed the way I approach styling my hair. Sometime last year I saw one of Lisa Fremont Street's product reviews on YouTube just positively raving about how wonderful a tool this book was in creating authentic and beautiful retro hairstyles. She provided a link to the book, and gave us a sneak peak of what was inside. Instantly I fell in love and knew it had to be mine.(You can purchase it online through the actual site, or through places like Amazon).

It was the best online purchase I've made all year. In fact, my copy is already looking pretty worn after the many styles I've attempted and people I've shown it off to. Friend's have bought it off my recommendation, and even in some instances bought it for friend's of theirs! My copy has also been travelling with me to various events and trips I've taken throughout the year. Rockabilly hair in Las Vegas, gorgeous 40s waves at my best friend's wedding and a sultry 1920s do for a baby shower.

The very best thing about this book is that it is to the point; it does not cut any corners and let's you follow along with pictures and descriptions on step-by-step techniques to achieving vintage hair styles. In fact, before you dive into a full look, she introduces the book with breaking down terms and outlining how to achieve each practice with the proper technique (pin-curl set, various roller styles, etc).

 There are styles for all different varieties of hair. The book covers a vast range of decades; everything from the roaring twenties to the swinging sixties!
 Wanted to know what a page boy is? Or a Marcel waver? What about a snood? This book has you covered! Also a favourite section is at the back and gives you a listed of fun extras (clips, flowers etc.) that will add more oomph to your do. There is even a how-to tutorial on making your own hair flower!

As Christmas is almost here, I have to now determine which 1950s hair-do from the book will best match the fab 50s vintage dress I just bought. There are almost too many options in Vintage Hairstyling to choose from, but that of course is half the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment