Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kitchy Koo



~Kitch ~
"A style of decorative art and design in which ordinary objects with vintage appeal, "old-fashioned" characteristics or banal usefulness feature prominently. Clutter, trite sayings, kitchen utensils and homey objects appeal as "kitchy"." - Urban Dictionary


When I think of kitch I picture pop culture coffee mugs, stacks of tea towels in bright floral patterns, black and white checkered 50s kitchens, cheery aprons, colourful retro kitchen appliances (SMEG, Kitchenaid), retro-style clocks (Felix the cat), gingham table cloths, fridge magnets that 'pop', vinyl booth seating and aluminum-edged diner style kitchen tables. 
House of Turquoise



These are the fun little things that will one day make my dream kitchen. A kitchen is (to me) the most homey/family centered room in your home, why not make it scream fun?!

SMEG
A great source for kitch vintage inspired kitchen stuff is Retro Planet . 






I just can't get enough, although I think kitch is something that should be used in moderation. There is a fine line between kitch cool and just tacky. The journey getting there and figuring it out is half the fun though! 

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely post:) I can't get enough of cute kitchen things I seem to come home with something everytime I got thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog especially your kitchen cabinets color is amazing.


    Kitchen Cabinets Toronto

    ReplyDelete