Thursday, April 21, 2011

Classic Cinema {My Favourites} I


Recently, I had a request from a dear friend who wanted to know my top picks for classic films. You know, those must-watch ones. Now, most of you won't be at all surprised that my choices can somewhat be influenced by fashion and style. While there is no doubt that I am drawn to talents in acting, dialogue, and story; my eye tends to be the very first thing that needs to be satisfied. I'm a very visual person, and to me, cinematography, costuming, colour and quality of the visual, is what it is all about. Not too many people love 2006's Marie Antoinette for the storyline and dialogue; what immediately draws them in are all the delicious visuals. Each like a piece of heavenly candy there for your every enjoyment.

This list will feature a little of everything; black and white, technicolour, big time Hollywood stars, silent cinema, musicals, the avant-gard, etc. Also, I wish to feature this in no particular order; so please, get out a fresh piece of paper and copy them all down, making sure to put stars besides the ones that grab your attention the very most. Let's begin with the 1900s to the end of the 1930s...

You Can't Take it With You (1938)

The Women (1939)

Sunrise (1927)

City Lights (1931)

Gold Diggers of 1933

Top Hat (1935)
Le voyage dans la lune (1902)

No comments:

Post a Comment